If you have an Instant Pot, you know how wonderful it can be. If you don’t have one, you should buy one immediately! Instant Pots are a fancy way to say “pressure cookers” that are programmed to take the guesswork out of cooking. They’re stupid-simple to use, and the only thing you need to know is to make sure it is depressurized before you open the pot. Luckily, they really do make it easy to depressurize the pot, so you need not fear having your food explode in your face. (Which will happen if you don’t depressurize the pot.) But no worries. It really is simple.
This recipe is what is termed a mulligan stew. Mulligans are the hobo version of a stew, which basically is a fast stew you throw together with whatever you have on hand. The frozen or canned cut up vegetables makes this stew into a mulligan. Plus nobody can say that it isn’t fast with an Instant Pot.
Fast and Delicious Instant Pot Venison Mulligan Recipe
- 1 lb venison cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup wine or beer any type
- 2 lbs red, yellow, or purple potatoes cut into wedges, about 8 wedges per potatoes, if large, or in half, if small
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lb frozen or canned mixed vegetables any type
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup barley
- 2 tsp Bouquet Garni (see notes)
- Mix flour, venison, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and garlic powder in the Instant Pot. Make sure the venison is coated.
- Add olive oil to the venison mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Close up your instant pot/pressure cooker and select the stew function. It should cook for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once finished, let it depressurize according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Other helpful stories you’ll like:
Please note that this post contains affiliate links to products we recommend. We receive a small stipend from purchases made through these links. By purchasing from our affiliates you help support The LocaCarnivore website.